
I am currently reading "From Fear to Freedom: Living as Sons and Daughters of God" by Rose Marie Miller. "Fear to Freedom" is the story of how Jesus opened up the eyes of a woman to her need for Him, and how He then went on to change her life with the power of His grace. Rose Marie's story is one that most can relate to in some way, and it got me to thinking about my own life and the idea of grace.
Throughout my reading, God consistently brought before me the idea of Jesus' power to transform lives. When I let myself really study the idea, I looked into my own thoughts and reviewed the way that I pray, and I came to the conclusion that most often in my life I live out of the belief that Jesus can't really change people in big ways. When I meet a person who is hard to deal with, frustrating, or seemingly selfish, I subconsciously give up on them and look at their situation as hopeless. My prayers start to focus more on ME dealing with them in a Christian way, rather than praying for Jesus to come into the situation and radiacally change them for the better with His grace. Ultimately, this is lack of faith on my part, and also a deep misunderstanding of who Jesus is and what He offers us; the transforming power of His love and grace.
My thoughts moved from others to myself, and I asked myself if I believed that Jesus can really change me. Once again, I came to the conclusion that deep down, I really don't live out of the belief that Jesus can come into my life, root out my weaknesses and fears and inadequacies, and renew me with power. I more look at the situation as Jesus walking alongside me, showing me where I'm going wrong and reminding me of the areas I need to work on. And yes, I feel His love within that, very strongly, and I rest in the fact that His love is unconditional, but I don't really stand on the promise that He can CHANGE me, drastically. God reminded me of the fact that Jesus isn't here just to point out my weaknesses and sins and love me despite them, but that Jesus offers me the grace to turn from it, grow from it, and become a completely different person. A new creation in Him. Either I had forgotten that somewhere along the way, or I never really knew (or believed) it in the first place.
Since God has brought this to my attention, I have started to recognize how my disbelief (or skepticism, possibly?) in Jesus' ability to radically change people for the better affects every relationship I have with anyone, prohibits me from loving people well, and robs me of hope in myself and all those around me.
And so, today, with God's help, I am trying to learn what it really means to receive the grace of Jesus, and live accordingly.
Jesus, I need you to teach me what it means to be changed by your transforming power. Help me to really SEE. I desire to live out of the truth that You can bring light to all people, that You are the hope for transformation in this world, and that believing in You and allowing Your presence to come into any situation can bring about incredible change in me and those around me. I desire to pray for people with hope and not judgment and negativity. I long to be changed by the loving grace You offer. I want to be able to love people well because I really truly understand and know deep down in my gut that I have been forgiven, unconditionally, by Almighty God.
Jesus, Help me to get there. I hope in your power to change.
Thank you for your amazing grace.
Thursday, July 9, 2009
The Transforming Power of Jesus
Posted by Sarah at 7:21 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment