
When did being a Christian become equal to being a Republican? When did abortion become the only issue that mattered in politics, the only topic that affects a vote? When did we start believing that the only way to solve something was to elect the "perfect president." More importantly, when did Christians earn the right to judge others? When did Christ ever say that it was our job to tell people what they are doing wrong, or who deserves what, or who is more worthy of something? When did we start shouldering people out rather than welcoming them in? Why does it seem like many Christians today are too afraid or proud or walled in to affect the world? When did affecting the world become telling the world what we think they're doing wrong?
When did we lose sight of our call, and how do we find it back again?
Questions that I have been pondering lately, since receiving some pretty intense "Christian" criticism over voting for Obama, a man that I see as one who cares about the lost of the world, that doesn't think of America as the only country to fight for, that thinks it necessary to preserve the land that God graciously gave us to protect and nourish, and that seems to unite rather than divide; all things that I believe line up with what Christ wanted for the world.
I do disagree on some points, like the issue of abortion. I know that Obama already signed an act that broadened the rights of abortion, and I wish that weren't the case. But that doesn't mean that it's a sin to vote for him, or that he should immediately be taken out of the running, or that he isn't a good leader. Jesus seems to take offense most strongly at those who, out of their fear or their pride, try to oppress others to insure security for themselves, and I saw an aspect of that from McCain. He seemed to be about the good of the few, and not the good of all, and although I respect him for a number of things, I don't believe he would have done as good a job leading our country.
And that is why I voted for Obama. And now that Obama is in office, it is our Christian duty to respect him, not label him the antichrist or hope for his failure or put him down at every turn. Yes, he will make mistakes, but we shouldn't have a hand in them or glory in them either.
Now, I realize that political subjects are extremely important to most people because more often than not a person's politics are based on incredibly personal issues, which then gives huge importance to their vote and their views. I mean no disrespect to those who voted McCain; I am just asking for respect as well. I have no problem with people questioning me about my political views, but I do have a problem with those who criticize me for it or look at me as less of something because of it.
Not to say that everyone is hardheaded or closed minded. I have been encouraged by many people (Christians or not) who look at politics with an open mind, whether they voted Obama or not, and also by those who have rallied around him since he did become President. That is encouraging to see. I believe in Obama and think he will do good things for our country, but I still rest on the hope that God is behind it all, and that no matter what, He will take care of things. No election will change that.
That being said, Obama '08*** :)
Tuesday, January 27, 2009
Christian Democrat.
Posted by Sarah at 5:06 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
So true. I didn't vote for Obama, but he was my favorite candidate for awhile. I always think I'm an environmentalist and a feminist, but not a democrat, and I'm pro-life and free-market but not a republican. Christianity is not defined by any one political group.
Up until 3 months ago, I had a lot to say about Obama. Now, I support our President and hope for the best for his administration. I hope he does unify Congress more and that he does help those in need. The time for arguing over whether or not he is a good choice is over.
Post a Comment