Monday, April 6, 2009


"With all this wide and beautiful creation before me, the restless soul longs to enjoy its liberty and rest beyond its bound."
- Teresa of Avila

Throughout my life, I have always felt a twinge of restlessness that I can't seem to shake. Lately, that twinge has grown into something strong. It feels as though something is missing within our society; that life is not meant to be mapped out like it is. I watch people work their lives away, talking about what they will do "when they have time," and "when things slow down," and I feel sad. Is this what God created us for? Can life boil down to endless days of 9 - 5, coming and going, always the same? My heart feels bigger than that. I wake up and sit on my porch and feel the wind and the sun on my face, and sense a promise there. God has laid something big and full of hope in front of us, all around us, hedging us in on all sides, and I want to stay there. I want to live a life that is more meaningful than worldly security. I want to connect with people and experience love and relationships. I want to live differently, as I think we are meant to live. In FREEDOM. Our jobs don't own us, money holds no power over things that truly matter, and life stretches before us like an open road. Why do we let our circumstances and society's assumptions dictate us? I want to live a life that allows me to wake up in the morning and breathe, knowing that the full potential of joy and rest await me. No schedules. Just the hope that God constantly offers us.

How do these ideas translate into life? Personally for me, they mean dedicating my life to learning about the Bible and who Jesus was on earth. God has given me a passion for biblical history, and He wouldn't have rooted this desire so deep in my heart if it wasn't meant for something important. I truly believe that, and I want to use what He has given me for good. Truth be told, most people seem to think that living the life of a biblical scholar is naive and irresponsible and should only be looked on as a hobby. I disagree. Why waste the majority of my time investing in things that I don't care about and that spark no joy in me? I will not live a life of obligation. If that is irresponsible, than that is my title. Call it what you may, but I always feel God most strong at my back when I am walking in a direction that is different from most around me, and that is my reassurance.

A joy steeped in the Lord and in the fulfillment of His promises can change the world.


And I believe in the promises of the one who made us. I believe that He came that we might have life, and have it to the FULL.

I want to live accordingly.

1 comments:

Christi Velthouse said...

Sarah, so interesting! It's so strange and very curious to me that we are both learning similar lessons across the US from each other... I can't wait to hear more about this in a few days!